Plymouth Yarn Company Blog

Providing Quality Yarns To Independent Yarn Shops since 1964.
plymouth yarn

Royal Llama Silk Hat

Royal Llama Silk Hat by Jan Wise

Royal Llama Silk Hat by Jan Wise

I promised last month that I would get you the pattern for this really fine hat by Jan Wise.  After some coaxing she agreed to share her talents.  Here is the pattern.   NOTE:  PATTERN HAS BEEN CORRECTED FOR THE TURNING ROW. jbt

Thanks Jan, and Happy Knitting to all

JoAnne

Slouchy Hat With Picot-Edge
Designed by Jan Wise, Mount Vernon, WA – June 24, 2009
Materials:  2 skeins Plymouth Yarn Royal Llama Silk
(shown in #1002/Gray, #1844/Moss and #1842/Denim)
(102 yds per/skein) or 200 yds worsted weight yarn

Needles:  US Size 6 (4.00 mm) – 16” circular
US Size 8 (5.00 mm) – 16” circular and 5 double points
Or sizes needed to obtain gauge

Gauge:  4.5 stitches = 1-inch on size 6 needles
4 stitches and 6 rows = 1-inch on size 8 needles

Sizes:  Finished sizes 19.55, 20 – inches at band/opening

TERMS: Kf&b – knit front and back of stitch to make increase
K2 tog – knit two stitches together to decrease

DIRECTIONS:
Using the smaller circular needle, cast on 88 (90) stitches.
Leave a long tail (18-24 inches) to use when sewing up hem.
Join without twisting, place marker between first and last sts.

Rounds 1-4:  Knit
Round 5 (turning row):  *YO, K2tog*, repeat to end of round.
Rounds 6-10:  Knit
Round 11:  Purl
Round 12:  Knit
Round 13:  Purl
Rounds 14-15:  Knit
Round 16: *YO, K2tog*, repeat to end of round.
Round 17-18:  Knit
Round 19:  Purl
Round 20:  Knit
Round 21:  Purl
Rounds 22-24:  Knit
Round 25 (increase rnd):

19.55-inch Size:  [(K2, k1f&b) x3, K1, K1f&b] x8 (120 sts)

20-inch Size:  *K2, K1f&b*, repeat to end (120 sts)

Change to larger circular needle

Rounds 26-27:  Knit

Pattern Stitch:
Round 28:  Purl
Round 29:  Knit
Round 30:  Purl
Rounds 31-36:  Knit
Repeat Rounds 28-36 Two more times (ending on Round 54).

Shape Top:
Round 55:  Purl
Round 56:  Knit
Round 57:  Purl
Rounds 58-62:  Knit
Round 63 (decrease round): *K1, K2 tog*, repeat to end (80 sts)
Round 64:  Purl
Round 65:  Knit
Round 66:  Purl
Round 67:  Knit
Round 68 (decrease rnd):  *K2 tog*, repeat to end (40 sts)
Round 69:  Knit
Round 70 (decrease rnd):  *K2 tog*, repeat to end (20 sts)
Round 71:  Knit
Round 72:  Purl
Round 73 (decrease rnd): *K2 tog*, repeat to end (10 sts)
Round 74:  Purl
Round 75:  Knit

Finishing:
Cut yarn.  Thread tail through remaining stitches.  Pull tightly and fasten off on inside of hat.  Weave in end.
Turn under the hem at the bottom/beginning of the hat and sew in place with tapestry needle using the long beginning tail.  Weave in ends.

26 Comments so far
  1. by Stasia

On January 30, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Thank you so much – it’s adorable!

2. by Vanessa

On February 1, 2010 at 9:08 am

this is my next project!!! thanks Jan!

3. by Debora

On February 1, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Very cute hat — Thanks for sharing it with us! Now to put it on the list….
    Debora

4. by Allie

On May 12, 2010 at 9:03 am

I’m loving this pattern and am about to put it on my needles but I was curious about one thing. For the turning row, do I turn THEN do row 5, or do I turn AFTER I do row 5?

I’m sorry if this is a silly question but I’ve yet to actually “turn” anything so it kinda threw me off while reading through the pattern.

Thank you for posting this pattern. I cannot wait to get started on it!

5. by Allie

On May 13, 2010 at 9:52 am

So, I read through the rest of the pattern and looked up more information on “turning”…I get it now. And I feel silly.

Again, though, thank you for the pattern! I cannot wait to complete it =]

6. by Sharon

On June 20, 2010 at 8:03 pm

So I am also stuck on this this “turning” row. From what I am reading on various websites is that “turning” is another way to create a “short row”. I am not understanding why there would be a short row in a hat pattern, also it says that you normally “turn” after so many stitches. Like in a sock pattern. So if someone could possibly explain to me what is meant by this “turning row” that would be great as I love this hat pattern and cannot wait to make plenty of them.

7. by Vanessa

On June 21, 2010 at 1:30 pm

hi Sharon,

In the pattern, it is just informing you that round 5 is where the hat hem is.
    The turning row is what is making the picot edge trim for the hat. Basically this separates the hats “hem” and lets you know where you need to fold the bottom of the hat to stitch the hem in place. You won’t be folding and stitching the hem until the hat is finished- so just work the hat pattern as is and then follow the finishing directions. Happy Knitting! –Vanessa

8. by Sharon

On June 23, 2010 at 10:28 am

This is the first hat I have made, actually the first thing that I have knitted on a round needle. When I get close to the end and am starting to decrease my rows. Will I have to remove and work on a straight 2 point needle?
    So far I am enjoying this project and have gotten to the point where I am switching to the bigger needle. I can’t wait to see the end project.

9. by Vanessa

On June 23, 2010 at 11:33 am

hi again, Sharon!

When you get to the top and the circular is too big for the amount of sts you have, you will want to switch to double points. There is a method of using 2 circulars for working in the round- which you may want to look into if you don’t like double points.

10. by Law

On August 9, 2010 at 4:37 am

Hello !
    I’m a french knitter ! And I made this hat too ! It is so cute, so thank you for the pattern !
    I was wondering (excuse my english), can I translate the pattern on my personal blog ?
    Some french friends of mine have problem to understand :p

Thank you by advance for your answer :)

See you soon :)

11. by Christine

On August 24, 2010 at 8:46 am

Please advise if you are a designer or knitter

12. by Sharon

On September 8, 2010 at 5:56 pm

I just wanted to say that I have made 3 of these hats and am making a 4th right now. They are amazing. Big hit. I made one as a farewell gift for a friend and now everyone wants one. Quick knit and so adorable. Thank you so much for posting this pattern.

13. by Jan Wise

On September 13, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Hi Sharon,

I’m so happy your hats have been hits.
    If you’re a member of Ravelry.com, please post a photo of your finished hats (if you haven’t already). I love to see the different yarns and how the hats turn out.

Jan

14. by Siminda Lin

On October 4, 2010 at 11:13 am

Looking at the pattern, I can’t figure out what makes the jagged edge around the face. Also, has the pattern shown been corrected for the turning row or do we find it elsewhere?

Thank you so much for your answer!

Siminda Lin

15. by Vanessa

On October 4, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Hi Siminda!

The jagged edge is what is called the “picot” edge and Round 5 is what is making this happen. Once you finish the hat and sew the bottom seam/hem (which is the first 4 rounds) the picot edge will happen.
    Yes, the pattern has been been corrected to include the turning round
    Happy Knitting!

Vanessa

16. by Siminda Lin

On October 4, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Can you tell me either how to do the turning row or advise where I can watch a video…..I don’t get it. Also, we only do one turning row on the hat?

Thanks again, Siminda Lin

17. by Vanessa

On October 4, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Siminda-

I found this video to be very helpful:

And yes, you only do the turning row once.

–Vanessa

18. by lando68

On November 7, 2010 at 11:40 am

I wonder if instead of sewing the two pieces together, what it would look like if you picked up stitches from the non-picot edge of the brim and worked up from there…?

19. by Stacy

On November 22, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Okay so I watched the video….but since the hat is worked in the round do you turn it inside out in order to do the YO K2tog?

20. by Vanessa

On November 23, 2010 at 10:22 am

No. picot edge is worked the same, whether you are working in the round or flat.

21. by R.H. Randle

On January 7, 2011 at 2:09 am

You might call it the “hem” row instead of “turning” row; the word “turning” gives folks the impression that you should turn your knitting at that point, and knit in the opposite direction.
    Love the pattern, and can’t wait to try it!
    Ruth

22. by Joanna Spence

On January 29, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I made this hat for my son’s friend, and she loves it! Now she wants me to make her a purple scarf to match the hat.

Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed for a scarf? I called the yarn shop in Morton Il where I purchased the yarn, and one of the ladies there said to start with a few knit rows so the sne of the project doesn’t curl, and of course I won’t need a “turning row”

Thank you for sharing your pattern. Everyone who sees the one I made wants one like it!

Joanna, Illinois

23. by marie

On January 7, 2012 at 11:50 pm

love this hat. thanks for sharing the pattern.

24. by Lubov Pyatetska

On February 10, 2012 at 2:57 am

Dear Jan,
    I loved this pattern from the first sight! I knitted it twice, for my mom and for myself, and everybody who see us like our hats. =)

I was wondering whether I could have your permission to translate this pattern into Russian for more people could knit this lovely and fast hat?

Thanks in advance,
    Lubov.

25. [...] Anyway, not much you can do with one skein besides a hat, so I searched Ravelry and found this pretty nice FREE pattern for a slouchy beret. I wanted something that I could knit while reading, so I was looking for something pretty simple [...]

26. by Bernadette

On July 17, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Hi. Don’t forget that you can also use the magic loop method and therefore won’t have to resort to double ended pins. Magic loop is a very long circular needle which allows you to knit small circumferences as well as long ones. You won’t have to worry about your stitches falling off the needle, and it’s also very easy to squash into your handbag.
    Thanks for the pattern, looks great, can’t wait to try it.

26 Responses to “Royal Llama Silk Hat”

By submitting a comment here you grant Plymouth Yarn Blog a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution. Inappropriate comments will be removed at admin's discretion.

× 8 = forty eight